Subject: Regression testing is release engineering
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/2006 08:45:46
I was wondering which parts of NetBSD could be put through regression
testing so that releases could be verified a little ahead of the game.
 Looking through src/regress shows that there is some stuff, but it
seems hit-or-miss.

As I started to think about it more, however, I wondered what testing
could actually be performed on an operating system.  It's such a
complex mix of features.  Testing all of the binaries/libraries should
be pretty easy (ls works, compress works, libxyz works, etc), but
testing kernel features and network stuff seemed like it could be very
difficult.

Anyway, I suppose I was just musing that it might be useful to run
./regression.sh when tracking current to, possibly, expose any bugs
before they cause you to crash when you're actually trying to do
something. (even if it might take a while to run through everything)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
_Matt