Subject: Re: NetBSD iSCSI HOWTOs
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/2006 20:39:34
--NGIwU0kFl1Z1A3An

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 05:48:25PM +1000, Ray Phillips wrote:
> >I think there are a lot of RAID users out there who aren't familiar with
> >buzzwords like ``The RAID5 Write Hole''...
>=20
> I'm afraid I'm one of those.  Could you elaborate on that please=20
> Miles?  Googling for the term didn't turn up much.
>=20
> At the risk asking a dumb question, I suppose using iSCSI to access=20
> disks across a network gives better performance than NFS or SMB/CIFS?=20
> What sort of increase in speed could be expected?

A way to look at iSCSI in comparison to an NFS server with local disk is=20
that you push the file system out from the disk server (the iSCSI target)=
=20
to the initiator (disk client, NFS server). Thus the CPU with the disks=20
does less work, and thus can support more clients for the same CPU=20
horsepower.

> Are there other ways to restrict access to a NetBSD iSCSI target=20
> apart of listing the IPs initiators may have in /etc/iscsi/targets?=20
> Perhaps somehow using samba to authenticate users?

You can't use samba to authenticate users using iSCSI. 1) there's no=20
defined auth method, and 2) iSCSI initiators aren't samba users. :-)

The canonical way to restrict access to an iSCSI target is to use CHAP.

Take care,

Bill

--NGIwU0kFl1Z1A3An

--NGIwU0kFl1Z1A3An--