Subject: Re: booting NetBSD - multi OS laptop
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2006 22:33:32
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:21:27PM +0000, Glenn Becker wrote:

> Thanks all for the responses -
>
> >You may need to have grub installed in the pbr to load these systems.
> >Grub is much more akin to NetBSD's /boot program than the mbr bootselect
> >stuff.
>
> Is 'pbr' = (primary|partition|?) boot record, e.g. the place in the specific
> partition that corresponds to what the mbr is for the entire disk?
>
> >>I booted into Debian and installed GRUB, which
> >>auto-detected everything except NetBSD. Sure enough, NetBSD would not boot
> >>when I added an entry for it to the GRUB menu, utilizing the chainloader
> >>option.
>
> >That should work, you must have the parameters for grub incorrect.
>
> OK, I had
>
> rootnoverify (hd0,4)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> boot

I had a very similar setup - Win 2000 in a primary partition, Linux too,
and NetBSD in the extended partition. Grub was in MBR, booting Linux
natively and Win 2000 and NetBSD via chainloading. It worked without
problems. (The Windows partition was active.)

I think that config lines for grub were something like

rootnoverify (hd0,4,a)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot