Subject: Re: NetBSD iSCSI HOWTOs
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2006 16:57:03
--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:19:46PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:43:02AM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:24:47AM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > > For those of you wondering what kind of extra gunge is needed in the
> > > kernel to support the NetBSD iSCSI target, the answer is "nothing oth=
er
> > > than IPv4" - the target works at the userlevel.
> >=20
> > Does this also mean it does not work (yet?) over IPv6?  How much work w=
ould
> > be required for this? =20
>=20
> Adding IPv6 is on my TODO list, but it's probably fair to say that
> it's not that high up, around the same place as "Sell all my guitars",
> and "Fix up ballet lessons for myself".

The problem I see with real IPv6 support is that the current code doesn't=
=20
really configure what address it listens on. As you can see in=20
iscsi_sock_bind(), it binds to INADDR_ANY.

So to get address families right, you probably need to explicitly=20
configure the portals with either numeric IPs or DNS entries. Then=20
getnameinfo() will set you up. You'd also need explicit support in the=20
SendTargets response code to answer back the right stuff. And don't forget=
=20
that numeric IPv6 addresses need the [] syntax.

This is probably something someone else could help with. At this level,=20
it's just a standard network server/daemom implementation issue (like=20
getting named or ntpd to listen on specific ports, etc.).

Take care,

Bill

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ--