Subject: Re: NetBSD iSCSI HOWTOs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@intostroy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2006 17:32:34
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:10:41 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> > 	NetBSD got iSCSI target support
> >
> > 	Alistair G. Crooks has recently added support for the iSCSI
> > target to NetBSD codebase. iSCSI is an IETF standard (RFC 3720) for
> > remote access to block-level storage.  It can be thought of as similar
> > to NFS, except that an NFS server exports files; the iSCSI target
> > exports blocks to the iSCSI initiators, which are the clients.
>
> Maybe add something to make it clear what a 'target' and an 'initiator'
> is, so people understand what's there and what is not:
>
> ``In iSCSI, the party offering a SCSI device (the server) is called a
> "target", and the party using that device (the client" is called an
> "initiator". An iSCSI initiator for NetBSD is currently under
> development''
>
> This sounds excellent!

Well well well, so once more from the start (bit remixed by me):

	Alistair G. Crooks has recently added support for the iSCSI
target to NetBSD codebase. An iSCSI, protocol which specifies a method
for encapsulating SCSI commands in the TCP/IP protocol, is an IETF
standard (RFC 3720) for remote access to block-level storage.  It can
be thought of as similar to NFS, except that an NFS server exports
files. In iSCSI, the party offering a SCSI device (the server) is
called a "target", and the party using that device (the client) is
called an "initiator", so the iSCSI target exports blocks to the iSCSI
initiators.
	NetBSD's iSCSI implementation was developed from the original
Intel code (BSD-licensed)  and has been tested with version 1.06 of the
Microsoft initiator (an iSCSI initiator for NetBSD is currently under
development), as well as with its own test harness. Please see HOWTOs
on how to setup both <ulink:target> and <ulink:initiator> and
<ulink:original email from Alistair>.

May I publish this?

--
Mishka.