Subject: Re: NetBSD iSCSI HOWTOs
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2006 08:24:47
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:16:37AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> you definitely want to read the manpage. Noting:
>
> BUGS
>      Essential lines ``atabus* at ata?'', ``atapibus* at atapi?'', and
>      ``scsibus* at scsi?'' are removed as they aren't listed in dmesg(8) out-
>      put.
>
> Also, If your 213 assorted USB devices are not live, its going to strip
> the ones you haven't got plugged in when you run. That removes a lot of
> functional stuff from a laptop config.
>
> However, it showed me a heap of stuff I can remove. I'd say this tool
> is one that you use to hand craft an outcome.

Thanks for that, George.

I'm not sure how the manual page for the adjustkernel package
(pkgsrc/sysutils/adjustkernel) relates to setting up an iSCSI target
under NetBSD, or the Microsoft iSCSI initiator, but maybe that's just
me.

For those of you wondering what kind of extra gunge is needed in the
kernel to support the NetBSD iSCSI target, the answer is "nothing
other than IPv4" - the target works at the userlevel.

The target should also work fine on other platforms (the target is
carrying on a double life as pkgsrc/devel/netbsd-iscsi), and I'd love
to hear about experiences on different platforms.

Thanks,
Alistair