Subject: Re: booting NetBSD - multi OS laptop
To: Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2006 23:57:30
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:21:27PM +0000, Glenn Becker wrote:
> Is 'pbr' = (primary|partition|?) boot record, e.g. the place in the
> specific partition that corresponds to what the mbr is for the entire
> disk?

partition boot record, ie the first sector of the partition.
the mbr (first sector of the disk) code replaces itself with the pbr
then jumps to the start of it.

> >>I booted into Debian and installed GRUB, which
> >>auto-detected everything except NetBSD. Sure enough, NetBSD would not boot
> >>when I added an entry for it to the GRUB menu, utilizing the chainloader
> >>option.
>
> >That should work, you must have the parameters for grub incorrect.
>
> OK, I had
>
> rootnoverify (hd0,4)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> ... got this from the GRUB manual, but it may be out of date.

I don't do grub...

> Current status of this: I (rather stupidly, I think) decided to try to
> make WinXP boot from a logical partition ... which hasn't worked. So I
> currently have an unbootable Windows system (with most of my astronomy
> apps on it) and two bootable Linux systems. Decided to hold before doing
> further "damage" (there is little to be done - not much in the way of data
> on this disk).

I strongly suspect that the winxp boot code wil only boot from a
primary partition - possibly unless booted from the M$ boot manager.

> I'm millimeters from throwing Windows into the sea ... again.

That far away?

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk