Subject: Re: tmpfs as root file system
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2006 23:01:19
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:38:11 -0500
Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu> wrote:

> MFS != MD   /* MFS and TMPFS is not MD */
>
> You could however mount tmpfs file systems from the memory disk root
> file system that you stuff inside the kernel image, or maybe roll
> your own /etc/rc to populate a tmpfs file system.

This did not work last I tried.

>I've done that with mfs file systems

AFAIK MFS is a different beast.
I think you're confusing memory device with MFS.
MD can indeed be mounted as rootfs extracted from the kernel like this:
/dev/md0a   /     ffs     rw,noatime 0 0

I don't think you can do something like this for rootfs, but I can be wrong:
swap           /           mfs     rw

>on a firewall box before I learned to effectively
> use crunchgen.

I dont see how crunching binaries is related to rootfs type.
And please stop top posting.

Cheers,
Marcin.