Subject: booting NetBSD - multi OS laptop
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2006 04:03:56
Hi All -

I'm running into some problems getting NetBSD to boot - I am working on a
6-OS laptop. I have one primary partition for WinXP (I keep it around for
astronomy applications) and an extended partition for everything else
(Debian and Slackware Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris x86).

I installed NetBSD 3.0 from floppies which worked like a charm but when I
rebooted the bootloader refused to boot Debian or Slackware (it spit out
an "error 3"). I booted into Debian and installed GRUB, which
auto-detected everything except NetBSD. Sure enough, NetBSD would not boot
when I added an entry for it to the GRUB menu, utilizing the chainloader
option.

I've seen some indication that NetBSD will not boot if it is on a
non-primary partition. Is this the case (got contradictory info when I
STFW)? If so I can rearrange partitions. But I'd rather not do a lot of
re-installing at this point ... it's not difficult, just time-consuming.

FWIW, this is going to be my "study" laptop since I have a 2 hour+ train
commute to and from work, where I am a fairly lowly sysop.

Thanks in advance ... I realize this lacks details ...

Glenn Becker

burningc@sdf.lonestar.org