Subject: Re: LC Display 1600x1200 with Matrox G400 (connected via DVI)
To: Michal Suchanek <hramrach@gmail.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2006 11:36:48
Thus Michal Suchanek <hramrach@gmail.com> spake on Wed, 8 Feb 2006
11:27:24 +0100:

> On 2/7/06, Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:
>
> > i got myself exactly this card (128MByte VRAM, 64bit wide bus --
> > more than enough) but it does not provide DVI-D signalling.
> >
> > the description says DVI-I which implies that digital, analogue and
> > DDC signalling are available.
> >
> > the card only provides DVI-A (analogue) output and has a *bad*
> > signal quality, one can see the ghost pictures meters away (on the
> > LCD as well as on my Sony FD 21" CRT).
> >
> > to verify everything works (read: the display and the cable use
> > DVI-D when available) i connected it with my G4 and -- tataa --
> > DVI-D comes up instantly.
> >
> > so, does your HIS Radeon provide DVI-D or do you run your LCD on
> > analogue signalling...?
> >
> > to my understanding this is really independent from software, so
> > that if the card had DVI-D it'd connect to the display that way as
> > soon as i power up the machine...
> >

> I am using a HIS Radeon 9250 card right now. The monitor says it is
> the digital input, and the cable is digital-only (there is the larger
> flat pin that is horizontal) so there is no way this could be an
> analog connection. However, the connector on the card can support
> analog cable as well.
> If you used one  your connection could be analog. Note that some LCDs
> also accept both analog and digital signal through the DVI connector.

yes, i have a DVI-I cable which supports both digital and analogue,
which is verified on other machines i use (e.g. that mentioned G4 --
Radeon via DVI-D, same display, same cable).

> So you may need to use a different cable or switch the display to the
> right input.

i don't see the cable being the culprit, neither the display. i tried
switching it manually, but i was told that there's no digital signal.

i went to the shop i got the card from yesterday (and i must confess
that i am really very disappointed by todays hardware 'quality' in the
peecee sector) and they tested it on a windoze machine. no DVI-D.

the connector is DVI-I tho, as it has all pins available for analogue
and digital signals; the question is, are those pins connected... =8-)

> hth
>
> Michal

thanks & best,

timo