Subject: Re: LC Display 1600x1200 with Matrox G400 (connected via DVI)
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/2006 15:27:17
Thus "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> spake on Mon, 06 Feb
2006 08:30:34 -0500:

> In message
> <a5d587fb0602060254r44e335e9rb6a243984f96ca23@mail.gmail.com>, Micha
> l Suchanek writes:
>

> >If you use a single link card and/or cable, the maximum resolution
> >youcan norm ally get is something like 1400x1100 (I do not recall
> >theexact numbers). I sus pect these old cards are no way near dual,
> >youwould need at least some of the P-series cards if not full
> >Parhelia.But these are completely useless with a fr ee system
> >because there areno free drivers, and the commercial ones are probab
> >ly quite poor. Atleast the matrox supplied and commercial drivers
> >for G-series
> > I triedwere unusable.
> >It is possible to get higher resolution with some single link cards
> >(and some d isplays) by crafting a vidoemode with shorter
> >blankingintervals. The Windows d rivers for ATI 9200 and 9250
> >Radeons arecapable of displaying modes like 1900x 1200 on certain
> >Dell monitors. Ithink I read some Matrox cards can do somethin g
> >similar. But it iscertainly not guaranteed that any card-monitor
> >combination
> > will work.
>

> I don't think that's right.  I'm running 1600x1200, with an ATI
> Radeon X300 (RV370) 5B60 PCIE, a Dell monitor flat panel, a DVI
> cable, and xorg from pkgsrc.  (XFree86 wouldn't do it.)  If I'm
> reading the log correctly, it's running at 162 Mhz.  The
> configuration is just what was generated by Xorg.
>
> 		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

funnily, i found out that indeed booting the machine with the display
connected via DVI does *not* result in a functional setup. when you
boot with the display turned on and connected via the VGA connector, X
runs fine. being at text mode (console) i switched the cables, i.e.
disconnected the VGA cable and connected the DVI cable to the card
(which is only capable of DVI-A, obviously). starting X (xfce in my
setup) works (still).

so after all i need another card, ideally capable of DVI-D output. best
would be a card which features two DVI-D for dual head setups (some
day), maybe they are still expensive, but the question itself is for
free :)

so, can anybody recommend a card with DVI-D output, passively cooled,
and with good support from XFree/X.org?

(i'm not willing to fiddle around with binary [linux] drivers by ATI,
nVidia et al. as i run NetBSD as well on macppc and i'd like to
consolidate drivers etc.)

thanks (in advance!),

timo