Subject: Re: X.Org, xdm & non-working keyboard
To: Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ee.oulu.fi>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2006 16:18:35
In message <20060201205542.GA8260@ee.oulu.fi>, Ossi Herrala writes:
>If I start xdm on boot, X starts well and offers me a login window but
>keyboard doesn't work or it stops working in few seconds.
>
>If xdm don't start from boot and I start it from command line it works
>well.
>
>I found this line from my /var/lib/X.Org.0.log:
>
>(EE) KbdOn: tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
>which led me to discussion on OpenBSD mailing list archives:
>
>http://archive.netbsd.se/index.php?ml=openbsd-misc&a=2005-06&t=1032737
>
>I think my system is having a same problem, but I couldn't get xdm to
>be delayed on boot.
>
>Could anyone offer a hand here?

I don't use xdm, but I need a delay before firing up ntpdate.  To do
that, I created /etc/rc.conf.d/ntpdate with the following contents:

start_precmd="ntpdate_precmd"

ntpdate_precmd()
{
        echo ntpdate pausing...
        for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
        do
                sleep 1
                echo -n .
        done
        echo
}

Something similar should work for xdm (though of course I have no idea
if it will fix your underlying problem).