Subject: Re: Firefox 5-10 second "hangs" on -current; just me?
To: None <"Undisclosed.Recipients">
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2006 01:58:26
On Monday 23 January 2006 23:02, Chuck Cranor wrote:
> In article <200601231149.k0NBnwCI017532@guild.plethora.net> you write:
> >On -current, with a natively built Firefox, Firefox occasionally wedges
> >completely, CPU-looping, for quite a while, then comes back.  5-10 seconds
> >minimum; I've seen a minute.
> >Some pages will impose a 2-second or longer delay during which the entire
> > X server is wedged; no keyboard processing or anything.
> >This doesn't happen on any non-NetBSD platforms, but only Firefox does it.
> >  Is anyone else seeing anything like this?
>
> hi-
>
>     I don't have that exact problem, but I do have a similiar problem
> with Firefox (Deer Park) under 3.0.
>
>     For what it is worth, the problem that I have occurs when I try to
> display a site like http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/   When the site
> loads there are multisecond pauses as it tries to draw the graphics on
> the web site or do the pop menus that go across the bar ("nfl",
> "college fb", "mlb", ...).   the delays make the site hard/annoying to use.

Is there any unicode-specific character is any of those pages?  In my systems,
since Netscape 4, pages that causes an ISO-10646 font to be loaded cause the
entire X session to freeze, with very busy disks (while it loads the font, I
presume).

--
	Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.