Subject: Re: cannot compile current kernel
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2006 12:17:55
Hi!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Marcin Jessa wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:49:09 +0200 (EET)
> Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org> wrote:

>> # cd /usr/src
>> # ./build.sh tools
>> # ./build.sh -T /usr/obj/tools kernel=/root/BLAH
>
> Your toolchain is propably somewhere than /usr/obj/tools.
> Use ./build.sh -T /usr/obj/tools tools

Having set "TOOLDIR=/obj/i386/tools" in /etc/mk.conf and having created
/usr/obj -> /obj/i386, and seeing that /usr/obj/tools/bin files update
after each "build.sh tools", I'd hazard a guess that tools get built and
used properly (at least as far as paths are concerned). I know that I did
not provide all this background information, but then the commands
themselves were only provided for context, not as potential problem
sources.

Since I've been doing these builds for some years now, I'd be rather
surprised to see things "suddenly" change without a note. As I mentioned,
the same procedure worked just fine on January 18th, but fails for kernel
since January 23rd.

Is this sequence no longer a working way to update current?
(I know this is not bullet proof in any way, I'm just asking if this is
not supposed to produce proper kernel & userland any more, if ever)

 	# ./build.sh -T /usr/obj/tools tools
 	# ./build.sh -T /usr/obj/tools kernel=/root/BLAH
 	# mv sys/arch/i386/compile/obj/BLAH/netbsd /netbsd.new
 	# ./build.sh -D /obj/destdir -T /usr/obj/tools build
 	# ./build.sh -D /obj/destdir -T /usr/obj/tools install=/

Anyway, using

 	# ./build.sh -T /usr/obj/tools tools
 	# ./build.sh -T /usr/obj/tools kernel=/root/BLAH

still produces the same error. And no, I don't have MKUPDATE in mk.conf.

> Try to follow http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating
> I just compiled mine with sources from few mins ago with no problem.

Hmm, then it must be my sources, my tools or my kernel config that is the
culprit. I'll try another anoncvs mirror first. Thanks for looking into
this!

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.