Subject: Re: CD burning problems
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: George Abdelmalik <gabdelmalik@avdat.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2006 12:39:33
On Friday 23 December 2005 12:41, Sean Davis wrote:
> Running NetBSD/i386 3.99.14, using a brand new dvd/cd burner. I would note
> first that I had zero problems burning cds at any speed using my old sony
> 52x cdrw. Any insight is appreciated.
>
> viaide1 at pci0 dev 15 function 1
> viaide1: VIA Technologies VT8237 ATA133 controller
> viaide1: bus-master DMA support present
> viaide1: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
> viaide1: primary channel interrupting at irq 14
> atabus at viaide1 channel 0 not configured
> viaide1: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
> viaide1: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
> atabus3 at viaide1 channel 1
> atapibus0 at atabus3: 2 targets
> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S, , YS06> cdrom removable

It's likely that your brand new dvd burner is capable of Ultra-DMA mode 4 (66
MHz) transfer speeds.  In which case you should be sure that you are using a
80 wire IDE cable (same one as you would use for a modern hard disk),
otherwise you may have data loss/corruption to/from the device, which sounds
a lot like what your seeing.

Your old driver would probably have been using Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33), or
DMA mode 2 transfer, which would have worked okay over the 40 wire IDE cable.

The dmesg of my drive looks like this:
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-108, DJDL419968WL, 1.14> cdrom
removable
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66)
cd0(viaide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66) (using DMA)

I was observing IDE data error until I replaced the 40 wire cable with an 80
wire. Now I've no problems.

george.
--
George Abdelmalik