Subject: Re: Firefox 5-10 second "hangs" on -current; just me?
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@ece.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2006 20:02:27
In article <200601231149.k0NBnwCI017532@guild.plethora.net> you write:
>On -current, with a natively built Firefox, Firefox occasionally wedges
>completely, CPU-looping, for quite a while, then comes back.  5-10 seconds
>minimum; I've seen a minute.
>Some pages will impose a 2-second or longer delay during which the entire X
>server is wedged; no keyboard processing or anything.
>This doesn't happen on any non-NetBSD platforms, but only Firefox does it.  Is
>anyone else seeing anything like this?

hi-

    I don't have that exact problem, but I do have a similiar problem
with Firefox (Deer Park) under 3.0.

    For what it is worth, the problem that I have occurs when I try to
display a site like http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/   When the site
loads there are multisecond pauses as it tries to draw the graphics on
the web site or do the pop menus that go across the bar ("nfl",
"college fb", "mlb", ...).   the delays make the site hard/annoying to use.

    I believe the problem I'm having is due to firefox trying to render
the semi-transparent images being used in menus on this web site.   [e.g.
if you put your mouse over "nfl" and wait for the menu to pop up you
can see the image that is "under" the menu --- i think the delays
are the browser trying to figure out how to create that visual effect.]
I wonder if there is some better way to deal with web sites like this?

chuck