Subject: Re: Multi-level mouse acceleration, anyone?
To: Martijn van Buul <pino+gmane_os_netbsd_current@dohd.org>
From: Paul Ripke <stix@stix.id.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2006 15:14:38
On Saturday, Jan 14, 2006, at 19:53 Australia/Sydney, Martijn van Buul
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am I correct in concluding that we currently don't support "modern"
> mouse
> acceleration on a per-mouse basis? AFAIK, all we have is X11's mouse
> acceleration, which suffers from two major flaws:
>
> 1) It's not a per-mouse setting, but applies to all mice
> 2) It has only one control point, which makes it jerky.
>
> <snip>
>
> Considering that I'm "in the market" for a small project, I'm playing
> with
> the idea of teaching wsmouse about mouse acceleration - unless someone
> has
> a better idea, of course. By having it in wsmouse, each individual
> pointing
> device can have their own acceleration curve, and I don't think it
> needs
> specific knowledge of the kind of mouse it's actually dealing with, so
> I don't
> see any reason to implement it to the various mousedrivers. Yet, it
> needs to
> sit below wsmux if we want control of individual mice.
>
> Any suggestions?

You may want to have a quick look at PR kern/25977. I have an el-cheapo
USB mouse which fails to report any movement delta below 2, making it
pretty hard to control under X11. The patch in that PR makes it
useable. I think adding software acceleration could be just an
extension (albeit, a large one :) ) of that patch.

Cheers,
--
stix