Subject: Re: ext2fs_write crashing (build: head snapshot 200601060000Z)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Aravind Gottipati <aravind@freeshell.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2006 23:36:32
sometime around Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:41:46PM -0800
Kevin Lahey wrote:
> I've been seeing similar issues since late December (it had been a couple
> of months since I'd updated).  Copying files is no problem, but at some
> point, galeon's startup caused a repeatable crash.  It looks like directory
> operations are an issue -- this has been a problem in the past, as my
> sporadic checkins of bug fixes for the ext2fs code will attest.

Hi,

I have tried following the suggestions on debugging a kernel crash, but
I was unable to produce a usable core file.  All the techniques
suggested failed with a message like this.

dump to dev 0,1 not possible
rebooting

The backtrace during the crash however looked something like this (I
copied as much as I could manually from the screen).  It seems to be
happening during renames and directory creation.

uvm_fault -> 0xe
supervisor trap page fault, code=0
stopped in pid 106.1 (mutt) at netbsd:ext2fs_write+0xf4: movl
0x10(%eax),%eax
ext2fs_write at netbsd:ext2fs_write
VOP_WRITE at netbsd:VOP_WRITE
ext2fs_direnter at netbsd:ext2fs_direnter
ext2fs_rename at netbsd:ext2fs_rename
VOP_RENAME at netbsd:VOP_RENAME
rename_files at netbsd:rename_files
sys_rename at netbsd:sys_rename
syscall_plain() at netbsd:syscall_plain
--- syscall (number 128) ---

Let me know if you need any more information.

Aravind.