Subject: Re: Cross-compile NetBSD-current with case-insensitive filesystem?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/2006 20:24:42
--FRaepaAnLTQkJ4tS

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 08:28:10PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> NetBSD-current fails to build the distribution on this filesystem (built
> a kernel fine, though).  The problem I'm running into is a conflict between
> _Exit.o (from _Exit.c) and _exit.o (from _exit.S).

Also the "CVS" and "cvs" directories are another example of this
weirdness.

> Are we supposed to be able to cross-compile the world with a
> case-insensitive filesystem?  If the answer is "no", I'll go away
> (I have an external firewire drive I can use) ... I was just under
> the impression that people had it working.

No, there are lots of problems with case insensitivity.  Pkgsrc also
requires case sensitivity to work without problems.

In short you need a defacto-unix-standard case sensitive file system
to do unixy things.  I'm amazed that Apple even considered making
such a file system for a Unix-based box. Hopefully HFS++ will fix this.
I'd gripe more about Apple, but this isn't the place to do it.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--FRaepaAnLTQkJ4tS

--FRaepaAnLTQkJ4tS--