Subject: key sequences for qemu?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/2005 23:54:07
Folks,

I have been using qemu running NetBSD to speed up kernel debugging and
help prevent a nasty crash eating my precious file systems.  All in
all it has worked well for me allowing me to keep my development
environment up and still be able to have kernels crash and burn with
impunity (a separate crash box is a bit unwieldy when you hack code on
a train :)

The problem I face at the moment is the documented key sequences for
doing "special" things don't seem to work, e.g. ctrl-alt is supposed
to unlock focus but it does not do anything as far as I can tell (if I
accidentally lock focus on the qemu window I currently switch to
another virtual console on the host machine and kill qemu from there)
and there seems to be no way to generate the magic key sequence to
drop to ddb.  I had a quick poke around the code, I think the "normal"
mode if qemu is running in X on a host machine is to use sdl for i/o,
the sdl input routines don't appear to have any special clauses for
generating some key sequences that cannot be captured from the
keyboard (like ctrl-alt-f1).  Am I wrong here?  I would really like to
be able to drop to ddb from the console in qemu - any hints?

--
Brett Lymn