Subject: Re: nfsd on i386 current hangs in vnlock
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/2005 08:43:28
--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:29:15PM +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Is there some way to see which lock nfsd wishes and then see who hold it?
> Or do I misunderstand the level that locks are held on?

You understand correctly. Unfortunately we do not have a tool to determine=
=20
what holds the lock nfsd wants.

There are tricks you can play in gdb, but that requires a kgdb setup.

> I played some more last night after I came home, and, once again,=20
> all nfsd processes were in vnlock again.  From the log messages it seemed
> that everything had been frozen for over 2 hrs.

Hmmm.... Sounds like something else may be wrong. Any hardware issue=20

> The only other thing running was a make in the pkgsrc/misc/openoffice.
> This was on a different disk, under a different user, then all of the nfs
> traffic.  I killed the make of openoffice and nothing seemed to unfreeze.
> I rebooted and did not start the build of openoffice and everything seemed
> fine this morning after about 9 hrs or so.

Take care,

Bill

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--