Subject: Re: nfsd on i386 current hangs in vnlock
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/2005 07:43:45
--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:12:59AM +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I have a x86 system running the current from this weekend's tar files.
> Right now it's building open office.  On top of that I have two
> sparc 20s, each with multiple cpus, building different versions of 3.0
> and current for sparc using the disk on the x86.  The x86 keeps hanging
> up every 12 hrs or so with nfsd in vnlock.  Is there an easy way to fix t=
his?

Unfortunately that's not the direct problem, just a clear symptom. The=20
problem is either that something is holding the desired lock and not=20
releasing it, or that nfsd keeps losing a race to aquire the lock (it's=20
released, then it's re-aquired before nfsd can get it).

I don't have any other clues for you, but the issue really involves=20
whatever is holding the lock. So the other things going on on the system=20
are important.

Oh, one quick question, does the problem resolve itself? If you leave the=
=20
system alone, does it recover?

If not, another issue could be that you have found a deadlock issue. :-(

Take care,

Bill

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga--