Subject: Re: Unmount tmpfs before removing swap?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/2005 21:32:27
It occurred to me that Magnus Henoch wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> Yesterday I shut down my computer.  I had a tmpfs mounted on /tmp, and
> it held so much data that it wouldn't fit in physical memory.  Thus,
> when the shutdown scripts removed the swap partition, the kernel
> started paging it all in, and eventually ran out of memory and froze.
>
> Maybe all tmpfs systems should be unmounted before swap is removed.
> (Or maybe I should just set swapoff=NO in rc.conf, as my swap is not
> on RAID)

Are you swapping to a file? AFAIK turning off swapping to "proper"
block-devices is one of the last things done during shutdown, while turning
off swapping to files happens much much earlier.

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333