Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2005 00:03:02
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:09:30PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> > > So far as I know, when you run tar as root, it will restore the uid/gid
> > > that was stored in the archive.  If those uids/gids don't exist in your
> > > passwd/group, `ls -l` will show a numeric ID.  It's not an error for the
> > > unknown IDs to not be in the passwd/group files.
> >
> > >From my experiments, the tar archive contains users/group names, not uid:
>
> It contains both, see POSIX:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/pax.html#tag_04_100_13_06

Ha, then it's probably dependant on the version of tar. I tried on 1.6.2
which is GNU tar.
I tried again with pax-as-tar, and it uses the uid if the user is unknown.
But if the user exists, it use the uid on the local system, not the
uid of the system where the archive was created.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>