Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/2005 10:59:19
--LwDZSyGAvxkXlqsD

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 06:21:52PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
  | On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 04:37:55PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
  | > You need to add the requested users and groups to you /etc
  | > passwd and group files (postinstall won't do this for you). Then
  | > postinstall will be able to fix the sendmail permissions.
  |=20
  | Is there any reason (different from "nobody implemented it yet" )
  | for this? If I am supposed to do it manually, postinstall should
  | clearly tell it, instead of reporting failure. (Doing it manually
  | is also not that easy as it is necessary to find all the required
  | information - uids/gids, what shell, what home directory, which
  | users belong to which groups etc.)

Yes there is a reason: many of us don't want user accounts
automatically added to our local passwd(5) & group(5) databases,
as we prefer to manage this ourselves.

postinstall(8) is intended to detect issues to be rectified
after an upgrade, and if possible, fix them in a safe manner.

I've experienced situations where automatic updates of end-user
modifiable system configuration has gone wrong.  As such, a
design and implementation goal of postinstall(8) has been to
make it "safe" whilst staying usable.

--LwDZSyGAvxkXlqsD

--LwDZSyGAvxkXlqsD--