Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2005 15:40:35
On Apr 12,  3:25pm, Hauke Fath wrote:
} At 13:05 Uhr -0800 19.11.2005, John Nemeth wrote:
} >} What surprises me more is that the OP did not consider running etcupdate(8)
} >} before postinstall. Since that nicely takes care of updating things that
} >} may result in conflicts with local changes, I do not really see the need of
} >
} >     sysinst automatically runs postinstall after unpacking etc.tgz.
} >It doesn't automatically run etcupdate.
}
} Ah, okay, if you upgrade with sysinst...
}
} Although I don't really see the point in doing that. I mean - you already

     Because it is quick and simple.

} have a running system, with a toolset more complete and comfy than what
} sysinst has to offer (run etcupdate with ed(1)? ;). And if [sysinst] for
} whatever reason stumbles half way through the update, you get to clean -
} no, wait, you get to find out what it has changed first, and then clean up
} after it. BTST, BTT.
}
} What I do to update a system is
}
} (1) install new kernel, reboot
} (2) 'shutdown now', untar all the sets except etc.tgz and xetc.tgz, reboot
} (4) untar etc.tgz into /newetc or similar
} (5) run etcupdate -a -l -v -b /newetc
} (6) run postinstall -s /path/to/etc.tgz {check,fix}, reboot

     Are you really expecting the average enduser to do this?  I've
certainly done similar things in the past, especially if I'm updating a
system remotely; but, it isn't something I would expect of the average
enduser.  BTW, you forgot update the bootblocks in your list.  This
illustrates that one reason for using sysinst is that it does
everything that is needed to be done.

}-- End of excerpt from Hauke Fath