Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/2005 18:44:12
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 06:36:35PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > > You need to add the requested users and groups to you /etc passwd and group
> > > files (postinstall won't do this for you). Then postinstall will be able to
> > > fix the sendmail permissions.
> >
> > Is there any reason (different from "nobody implemented it yet" ) for this?
>
> I think it's just "nobody implemented it yet". It's not that easy, because
> you need to be carefull to not use an exising uid.

Those uids are not fixed? What uids/gids were given to files owned by those
special users and groups when base.tgz was untarred?

(there also is software which has a special uid selected at compile
time. For example the exim MTA. For those, "not using an existing uid" is
not sufficient. I don't know if any such programs are present in the base
system, so I am a bit afraid about choosing some random UID.)

Pavel Cahyna