Subject: Re: problem with tmpfs and linux emulation?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2005 21:20:31
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 07:23:40PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >> Presumably, though, the behavior of linux_sys_read would have to depend
> >> on the underlying file system type -- it does the right thing for, say,
> >> ffs and ext2fs, but not for tmpfs.
> >
> >But it only work by "accident", not intention.  This method should be used for
> >all filesystems, not just tmpfs.  It's a bit more inefficient, but more correct.
>
> I don't think that linux uses read to read directories. I think it always
> uses getdents. Something else must be going on. Can someone verify by using
> ktrace?

The most likely suspect is tmpfs_readdir()'s cookie handling.

BTW, is there any reason tmpfs diverges significantly from the
filesystem code style? Like ((struct vop_lookup_args *)v)->a_dvp
assignments and --------------------- separators between functions.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-