Subject: Re: Looking for A/D & digital I/O interface for NetBSD system
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2005 10:50:10
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 22:21, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:03:35 +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>
> > "thumb" = "small arm".  It's a reduced and compressed version of
> > arm, often used for apps on cellphones and similar devices.  I
> > *think* you can compile code for one or the other, and mix them.
>
> Provided we have proper interworking.  Do we?  Would be a nice feature
> to have.
>
> SY, Uwe

I can and do build code in Thumb mode for NetBSD.  You have to jump
through a few hoops at present, and you need an ARMv5 core if you want
to link to the shared libraries (The shared library trampolines won't
work on v4T cores).

The main problem at present is a bug in ld which means that you have to
build all your thumb code with -mlong-calls: that makes it run a bit
slower (and it makes the code a fraction larger than really needed), but
hey, if you want performance you probably wouldn't be compiling in Thumb
mode anyway :-)

R.