Subject: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (PRs kern/18880 and kern/24488)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Witzmann <stephane.witzmann@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/2005 02:22:30
Hi

I made a patch for current that fixes PRs kern/18880 and kern/24488. The
Santa Cruz is a clcs-based sound card which needs an "external amplifier"
to be powered on. Both Björn Barkenfelt (kern/18880) and Nir Mor
(kern/24488) provided a fix, but none of them has been merged in the source
tree. Maybe nobody had time to clean up the patches and test them, so that
is what I have been doing lately. I tried to make the code as clean as
possible so please tell me if I did something wrong.

What my patch does is :

- add an external amp flag to the ac97 driver
- add cs4280 card identification for cards that require special (ie some)
ac97 flags. This includes the Santa Cruz and the Mitac MI6020. I have never
heard about the latter (looks like the MI6020 is a laptop with a cs4280
sound card), but both the ALSA and FreeBSD driver say it also requires the
external amp to be powered.
- add these devices to pcidevs

So now, the sound card is not silent anymore. That is what the PRs were
about, so I think they can be closed if my patch is merged into current.

This patch doesn't solve all the clcs issues. The sound is sometimes
metallic (see thread on netbsd.general). This looks like an initialization
problem. I've got an old patch from Yasafumi Itoh that should help, but it
doesn't merge into current easily. I'll look at it... later.

The patch can be found at : http://bill.area51.free.fr/santacruz.diff .

Stéphane Witzmann