Subject: ath issues
To: David Young , Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2005 11:11:08
David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> writes:
> You and Perry should try this patch.

I'm now running with the patch. So far, it seems to be working better,
and I haven't crashed the way Konstantin did.

Remaining problems:

The interface claims to be on an 11g network when it is on an 11b
network.

"ifconfig ath0 powersave" seems to go gaga. Just try it.

If I have an SSID with a space in the name, say, oh,
"Foo University", and you fiddle with the interface, and then
type "ifconfig ath0", frequently the SSID is now truncated to
"Foo". This is not good behavior.

I'm also unclear on whether the ath device completely powers itself
down when I ifconfig it down. My power consumption in the past gives
me the impression that it does not, but I'm unsure. It is rather hard
to tell.

By the way, is "wiconfig -D" expected to behave correctly with ath?
When I try using it, it knocks me totally off the network, and I have
to manually re-configure the interface in order to get it to work
correctly.

And on to another related topic:

It would be nice if we had better tools for figuring out what is out
there. A user would like to have a tool that will let them do things
like list available networks, but it doesn't seem like we do. This
stuff is trivial on Windows and Macs, but on NetBSD even I, a skilled
user, often have trouble trying to figure out what is going on.

wlanctl sort of seems to do what is wanted but the output is really
hard to understand and (by the way) the usage line for the program and
the man page don't correspond (there's this magic "-v" option for
instance.)

As a user, the sorts of things I would like to know is this: Give me a
list of the wireless LANs I see, along with the various strengths they
have, whether they're encrypted or not, etc.

Ideally such a utility would have flags the way ifconfig does so that
autoconfiguration tools could parse the output and automatically pick
a LAN for you based on what is available that matches something you've
put into a config file.

Perry