Subject: Re: ath seems still buggy
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2005 15:00:55
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:39:14 -0400
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 02:30:44PM +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:09:35 -0400
> > Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> > > What part of "in hostap mode" did you miss?
> >

> > What part of "real life enviroment" did you miss?
>
> No part at all, thank you.  And you can spare me the revisionism; your
> text above clearly says "on a laptop" -- i.e. on a client.
>
> > I am not talking of home-brewed small scale soekris boxes which are
> > useless/too slow for any modern WLAN Access Point.
>
> I don't think you're going to get much help from anyone if you can't
> refrain from all the hyperbole.

I don't see any help coming from you in this rather pointless email
exchange when all you seem to do is being rude.

>As it happens, my former employer
> shipped hundreds of units of wireless access points with hardware
> essentially equivalent to the Soekris 4501 -- in fact, we used 4501s
> for prototyping, which is why I own some.  The 4501 will move about
> 40Mbit/sec, which is plenty.

Not with atheros. Soekris will choke at about 20Mbit/s. And this with
commercial atheros drivers.
It happens I work with wireless equipement as well and we stoped using
soekris for anything else than 11b equipement.
We've actually switched to WRAP boards since soekris had too high
procentage of hardware failure.

> I get significantly better than the 6Mbit/sec throughput you claim
> from a 4501 with an Atheros card _while the host CPU on the 4501 is
> doing AES encryption for IPsec ESP_.

I am sorry, a typo. I meant 60mbit =~ 7.5MB/s.

>I don't know what the problem
> may be in your configuration, but insisting that anyone who isn't
> having the same problem you are is incompetent or dishonest is just
> silly.

The problems as you describe them are what I call a lack of
features compared to what I can find on FreeBSD.