Subject: Re: ath seems still buggy
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/2005 23:11:39
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:06:28 -0400
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

:=20
: Vincent <10.50@free.fr> writes:
: > Perry E. Metzger a =E9crit :
: >> Honestly I sometimes now think it was a major mistake for me to
get a : >> laptop with a built in ath -- it is extremely unpleasant to
work with : >> the driver in its current state.
: >
: > There are major regressions, that's unquestionnable. Who is
: > responsible for this driver?
:=20
: dyoung. I CCed him on the mail.
:=20
: I've got to say that I'm kind of annoyed at how things have gone
: lately with the problem. (Sorry, it is true.)

Just run sysctl on a FreeBSD box and grep for ath to see how many more
settings there are for atheros there and you will stop being surprised.
The same with ifconfig values for wireless cards.=20
Sam Leffler did great job working on the ath driver and WLAN in
general for FreeBSD.=20
I've seen him posting a few times here as well but I am not sure about
his role in the NetBSD project and if it can bear any fruits.
When it comes to the ath implementation for NetBSD it seems to be there
just for the records.=20
Sadly it looks like it can't be used for any serious purpose.
My few attempts to get an answer from dyoung about bugs and features of
the ath driver in CURRENT vs FreeBSD allways met with lack of response.=20
That's a pity too and very discouraging.=20

Cheers,
Marcin.

 =20