Subject: ral + hostap : switching operating mode causes crash?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/2005 19:53:14
Hello.

I recently obtained a PCI ral-based network card, knowing that it supports
hostap mode, but I'm having some problems with it.

When I configure it for hostap mode, the device seems to drop to 11b - while
I'd really like it to be 11g. ifconfig claims:

media: IEEE802.11 autoselect hostap (autoselect mode 11b hostap)

and while I can succesfully associate with it using other cards, speed does
seem to be limited to 11 Mbit/s indeed. I tried to force it to use 11g
instead, using both

ifconfig ral0 media OFDM54

as well as

ifconfig ral0 mode 11g

but in both cases I immediately get a kernel panic. I'm having this on both
my laptop (Running 3.0_BETA, with iMil's backported ral-driver, using a
cardbus ral card), as well as my NetBSD desktop (running -current, using
a PCI ral card). However, this crash only appears to happen if the device
is already up:

ifconfig ral0 down
sleep 5
ifconfig ral0 mode 11g
sleep 5
ifconfig ral0 up

*appears* to work, otherwise I get a "panic: ieee80211_newstate: bogus xmit
rate 11 setup"

Is this a known "feature", or should I file a PR?

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333