Subject: Re: External temperature sensor
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2005 10:38:23
--7JkapV4Jq7JYs/O0

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:15:38AM -0400, Michael wrote:
  | >  	I'm looking to get an external temperature sensor to hook up to
  | >  	one of the NetBSD machines in our machine room. Would anyone
  | >       have any thoughts/suggestions?
  |=20
  | There's some support for Analog Devices ADT7467 and ADM1030 in the tree.
  | ( 'some support' as in sensors can be read via envsys, thresholds can be
  | set via sysctl but there's no way to change things like hysteresis,
  | temperature/rpm slope or the more complex innards of the ADT 7467 )

Arguably the envsys(4) API could be used instead of sysctl(3) for setting
stuff like thresholds on a sensor, if the envsys API was slightly
extended.

I have a proposal for an ENVSYS_STREDATA which would support this.
E.g, set the min & max members of envsys_tre_data and use the
proposed ENVSYS_STREDATA to frob it to define the threshold. =20
We use a similar technique abusing the rpms field of envsys_basic_info
and ENVSYS_STREINFO to reset a sensor's alarm.

I'll post about that proposal elsewhere.

cheers,
Luke.

--7JkapV4Jq7JYs/O0

--7JkapV4Jq7JYs/O0--