Subject: Re: OT: Any experience with Apple Cinema Display
To: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2005 08:16:37
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:31:40PM +0200, Timm Wetzel wrote:
> >I've been using this display with a radeon 9600XT with no problems.
> >note that I did have to use a cvs version of the xorg X server,
> >the 6.8.2 release didn't work.  (nor did xfree.)
>
> (even more OT)
>
> Could you explain how it failed?
>
> I'm asking because I've unsuccessfully tried to get a 17in Apple LCD
> working with a (Mac) Radeon 7500, using both XFree and pkgsrc Xorg 6.8.2.
>
> The display invariably goes black (and stays black after stopping the
> server), although the X server seems completely happy.
> I've tried to apply later X patches in the radeon driver, but it didn't
> help.

yup, that's the problem I had.  here's the explanation of it
(the first problem he mentions):

http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2005-March/006641.html

and here's the fix:

http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/radeon_driver.c?r1=1.48&r2=1.49

(actually I didn't use that fix exactly, but something equivalent than I
came up with before that after staring at the explanation and the code
for a bit and trying a few experiments.  I assume that the official fix
works as well as my hack, but I haven't verified that.)

-Chuck