Subject: Re: ath driver and wep
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2005 16:28:58
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <433EF58D.6090609@free.fr>, Vincent writes:
>
>>Greg Troxel a écrit :
>>

>>>I made the following change (locally, not committed) yet to
>>>sys/dev/ic/ath.c to write wep keys to the hardware on power up.  This
>>>intends to fix the problem of wep keys being set while the power is
>>>off (ifconfig nwkey before ifconfig up), or lost during ifconfig
>>>down/up.  I tested on one machine and an ifconfig down/up resulted in
>>>a working configuration where previously it did not (and I received a
>>>report from someone else who had the same problem).
>>
>>I tested it, not for long, but I was led to this:
>>
>>It is *definitely* better. but I think it does not solve completely the
>>problem, as I found my PC disconnected after a while. And it surely does
>>not solve the autodeconnection bug (the card drops the link for some
>>unknown reason).
>>

> I've frequently had that latter problem, with both a PCMCIA wi0 card
> and a built-in ath0, for several years.  It seems to be related to
> traffic levels, since I have much more trouble in busy wireless
> environments.

I'm coming in late on this but regarding ath, if you're seeing frequent
beacon misses then I have a workaround for "phantom bmisses" that may be
helpful.  It's still being tested; I'll try to pass it along when it's
in a form suitable for netbsd (it was developed for freebsd).

Regarding the wep key and powering the card down; when the interface is
marked down the chip should be in full sleep with the radio turned off.
  In this state it should draw very little power.  If folks are really
seeing power draw in this state then I need more info; especially the
part id(s).

	Sam