Subject: Re: gotchas converting from base xsrc to pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/xorg
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/2005 23:23:03
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, George Michaelson wrote:

> I'm interested in trying xorg. Can somebody suggest what might be the
> least painful way to do this, if the NetBSD host is a laptop, the
> every-day desktop machine, and has an existing X11R6 from xsrc which is
> populated with lots of applications that are depended on, including
> stuff linked into gnome/gtk2

You have now made this a FAQ. Search recent archives (maybe on
netbsd-users or netbsd-help or tech-pkg) to find some recent discussion on
this.

> I suspect that the safest first-pass is to make xorg into an
> alternate packaging hierarchy, but that may require bootstrapping a lot
> of other packaging content in it first. -I can then re-start X off the
> new path, prove it works, debug things, completely cleanly.
>
> Another approach I'm considering is to use an overlay FS which does
> white-outs to replace the underlying readonly reference of X11R6. This
> would let me try running apps originally linked against X11R6 with
> xorg, and have missing stuff 'satisfied' by the underneath FS.

I never used an overlay. Two ways:

1) just set X11_TYPE to xorg for pkgsrc's mk.conf and start rebuilding
packages as you need.

2) or set X11_TYPE to xorg and move your /usr/X11R6 out of the way and
create a symlink for /usr/X11R6 to point to /usr/pkg/xorg.

I have mix and matched xorg and XFree86 several times and in most cases,
it just works.

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/