Subject: Re: gzip and amanda conflict?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2005 10:13:29
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:02:59 +0100
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:54:31AM +0300, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
[snip]
> > I.e. there are no room for reporting about more than 2^32=4G data.
> > Later this also badly affects on "gzip -l" for files with uncompressed
> > size more than specified volume. So...
>
> The gzip file format doesn't allow a size >= 2^32 to be saved in the
> archive trailer.  Files >= 2^32 are saved correctly.

Ick... Really, we can't store infinity in the trailer. But I didn't
reallize, that allowed length is so small (looking to nowadays data).
Sorry, I'm not gzip expert :-/

> So I suspect the maybe_warn() is flipping the exit status....

Yes, it is. maybe_warn() sets exit_value to 1 and this affects on all
calling programs (including hubertf's g4u, where I've detect this
behaviour first).

IMHO, we should change maybe_warn() with just warn() for this and fix
a message about reported sizes.

--
Mishka.