Subject: FSCK fails after a crash
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/2005 19:55:15
Hello,
I surely missed something, but I have no clue why.

I had to switch off (in a quite unexpected and rude way) my laptop (i386
- 3.99.8). When I switched it on again, the automatic fsck checks failed.

fsck -p fails because it complains about no lost+found directory, and
fsck_ffs reports an inode out of range and quits at pass2 (checking
pathnames). When I did a fsck on the other partitions, it seemed that
every directory had to be reconnected.

Anyhow, I couldn't get any clean file system and I had to mount them
stale, which is how I send this mail. The system does not seem to run
into inconsistencies, I can execute X and Mozilla, but it is quite
unsettling to know that fsck does not work. I suspect I missed something
like a file system update, but when or where?

Thanks for any help.
Vincent