Subject: Re: mysterious reboot
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Onno Ebbinge <onno.ebbinge@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/2005 11:27:08
> >To select all memory tests (this is from my memory, pun intended):
> >- Press "c" to enter the configuration menu
> >- Select "test selection"
> >- Select "all tests"
> >- Continue (esc ?)
>=20
> That's what I tried -- "all tests" wasn't one of the choices on 1.60...

Ok, I tried and see differences in the versions...

> >*always* test new memory because memory today has a few billion bits and
> >only one faulty bit can screw you really bad. Faulty memory seems to be
> >on the rise... Let your friends test their computers with this tool
> >and don't be
> >surprised if quite some computers have memory problems. Playing with lat=
ency
> >settings sometimes cures memory errors that result from timing problems.
> >
> I agree -- I ran both memtest and a full release build, that being my
> favorite informal memory test....  The problem simply was that neither
> picked up the problem.

High chance that it's a latency problem. Play with the latency settings and
your problem will likely disappear. A lot of memtest tools don't trigger
latency problems but only bit errors. Of course latency problems are harder=
detect and occur more often these days.

Regards,
Onno