Subject: Re: "toor" is not Bourne-again shell!!!
To: Erik Bertelsen <bertelsen.erik@gmail.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2005 21:26:33
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 07:27:25AM +0200, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> I don't know about the "real" make programs, but I do know from own
> experience that on a PDP-10 'make' was an alias of the teco editor used when
> creating a new file.
>
> If you typed 'make war' it would answer Not war? and then continue normally,
> i.e. going into insert mode on the file war.

I've just gone through my archives and found a slightly faded sheet of
line printer paper (readable because it never had any green on it) that
contains:

.TYPE START.TEC
!TECO.TEC V03.00![90,0X9[00,0X0[20,0X2
and carries on for about 4400 bytes of apparant gibberish [1] with a lot of
chars from $:.,"[]& etc.
At the end is:
.SET TT CONSOL 1
So time to guess the OS this came from.

Part way through is:   "EJ::SLOVE$"SNot War?
Which is under an earlier conditional for 'MAKE'

Other possible error texts include:
- You don't have a refresh scope
- Your terminal is not an interactive scope
- Your terminal doesn't support scrolling

	David

[1] when I printed this I parsed it. I think the part I quoted reads,
pop buffer 9, apply commands in buffer 9 to lines zero to zero (which
might mean all of the buffer), pop buffer 0, execute contents...

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk