Subject: Re: mysterious reboot
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Onno Ebbinge <onno.ebbinge@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2005 10:24:32
On 9/9/05, Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> In message <75ff70b0509080748ded4020@mail.gmail.com>, Onno Ebbinge writes=
:
> >> A disturbing thought, since I recently added more RAM to the machine.
> >> Memtest found no problems in a single pass; maybe I'll run it longer
> >> overnight.
> >
> >I had a similar problem and used memtest. Here are two tips:
> >- Use memtest from http://www.memtest.org/ and NOT from
> >http://www.memtest86.com/.
> >- In Test selections use "all" instead of the "standard" default
> >selection, this one saved me! The "standard" test did fine, the "all"
> >test revealed timing problems with one of the memory chips (no
> >overclocking) on the module. Underclocking my memory solved my
> >problem.
> >
>=20
> I couldn't find any such option, but it didn't matter -- memtest86+
> (from the site you suggest) found some errors.

To select all memory tests (this is from my memory, pun intended):
- Press "c" to enter the configuration menu
- Select "test selection"
- Select "all tests"=20
- Continue (esc ?)

*always* test new memory because memory today has a few billion bits and
only one faulty bit can screw you really bad. Faulty memory seems to be
on the rise... Let your friends test their computers with this tool
and don't be
surprised if quite some computers have memory problems. Playing with latenc=
settings sometimes cures memory errors that result from timing problems.

Good luck,
Onno