Subject: Re: "toor" is not Bourne-again shell!!!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2005 11:13:34
Hello.

I had been reading the feedback on this issue from other users and members
of The NetBSD Foundation.  As I do not received email copies of the replies
(I am not subscribed to this mailing list) I was not aware about the nice
and high quality feedback received on this matter until I read the messages
this morning.

Briefly,

Holger Weiss says that "Bourne-again Superuser" appeared in 4.3BSD.  Well,
I think that, as BSD heritage, we should NOT change it without a VERY GOOD
reason.

Christos Zoulas observed that this comment pre-dates bash, in fact, it is
not a mistake.

I fully agree with Aaron J. Grier and Geoff Wing about humorous bits...
well in all except in one detail:

  "You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish."

is not true... if we tune a fish we have a tuna fish or tunny (for British
speakers).  :-)

Don't know a lot about Stephen Falken current job, but after making
a computer that played a nuclear wargame with NORAD he would not be
hired by a computer company.  Certainly, for him "the only winning
move is not to play" these days.

Seriously, as it is clear that "Bourne-again Superuser" not only pre-dates
bash but also is a 4.3BSD heritage we should not change it without a very
good reason.  Please, drop my request.

Cheers,
Igor.