Subject: Re: Failed to build 3.99.8 (installation floppy is too big)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2005 19:35:01
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:16:45PM +0700, Ian Zagorskih wrote:

> buildfloppies.sh: Image is 6144 bytes (6 KB) too big to fit on 2 disks
>
> As usually, installation floppy is too big -> release is failed.
>
> This problem appears IMHO quite often, about every month, so next release
> team folks cutting off installation kernels more and more but the problem in
> its current state is immortal and appears again and again. Probably it is the
> right time to bring some final solution and get rid of boot floppy size
> limitations?

Someone else reported that earlier...

I did a full build of current for i386 over wednesday and thursday
(interrupted by a thunderstorm and short power outage) and the build
I did fits fine.

It is worth checking that you've not set any compilation options in
/etc/mk.conf.  They will cause the build to explode
(and since the ramdisk is built with the standard libc.a it is difficult
to avoid that - unless the relevant parts of libc are compiled again).

If/when someone sorts out a non-floppy emulation boot, IMHO it is better
to keep floppy installs below the current limits even if that means they
contain support for less hardware.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk