Subject: Re: Location of "named.conf"
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2005 14:31:16
Matthias Scheler <tron@NetBSD.org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:17:58AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> On a more positive note, the CORRECT way to have fixed this would be
>> to set a default -c /etc/namedb/named.conf option, so that by default
>> named looks for the config file where it has been installed on NetBSD
>> for the last decade or more. I suggest changing to that way of making
>> this work.
>
> I've considered that and I don't think it is a good idea because:
>
> 1.) A lot of people will simply have used "mv /etc/namedb/named.conf /etc"
>     to make it work. Changing "/etc/default/rc.conf" like you have
>     suggested will break such setups.

If you're going to try to have sympathy for breaking people, you're
too late -- you've broken my setup already.

In any case, we should not be encouraging people to use named without
running it chrooted and unprivileged, which means to really run things
correctly we need more machinery in place than we have.

Perry