Subject: Re: Keyboard Problems
To: segv <segv@netctl.net>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/2005 23:25:42
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:47:46PM +0100, segv wrote:
> Dude you don't need Home/End, Page Up/Down keys at the terminal, there is a
> much faster way to navigate, you have to learn the Unix way :-)
>
> In your shell type 'set -o vi' you can put this command in your ~/.profile
> file, so that it's executed every time you log in. Now you have vi editing
> capabilities. There are many tutorials on the internet how to use vi. Once you
> learn it, you'll never want to use anything else, trust me.

	quiet, you vi heathen!  My emacs god will smite thee! :)
more seriously, the "fastest" way to navigate really depends on what you're
used to.  Although if you look at key strokes vi-mode is the worst:
three keys (Esc, 0, i) to perform the equivalent of one (Home) or
1.5 (Ctrl-A)

	As for getting home/end to work: the correct $TERM for wscons terminals
appears to be wsvt25m, not "vt100" (which is in wscons.conf), nor "vt220"
(which is listed in /etc/ttys and is what $TERM gets set to by default)
	I'm guessing the default value should be changed, but perhaps there's
a reason that it's set to vt220?

eric