Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX on amd64
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/2005 04:29:33
Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> thank you again. strange - most programs work but /emul/linux/bin/ls
> does not! ls does not seem to be very complicated and doesn't use
> pthread.

That's strange.. I did test ls, and it worked for me. How does it fail?
Can you ktrace it and see what goes on? Maybe it's a 64-bit ino_t issue.

> other programs crash if using pthreads, works if not. is it matter of
> library itself or it's interface with program? i mean if putting
> somehow older library will be a fix

The newer Linux pthread code uses thread system calls introduced after
Linux 2.4. Some of these are harder to emulate, and have not been
implemented in COMPAT_LINUX yet.

Using an older libpthread *might* work (i.e. a plain linuxthreads one),
but I can't be sure. There's probably some interaction with glibc that
might go wrong.

- Frank