Subject: Re: compiling only a part of src (e.g. bootfloppies :)
To: None <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2005 22:35:48
> > For this specific example:
> >
> > 1) build tools to ${TOOLDIR}
> > 2) build the kernel used by bootfloppy-big (INSTALL, I think)
> > 3) cd to the above dir; cd ../ramdisk-big; and do
> >    ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-i386 dependall
> > 4) cd ../bootfloppy-big; ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-i386 dependall
>
> You may want to have done '${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-i386 obj' first.

Hm, OK.  If the tree has been built as above first, one would
have to do a "...nbmake-i386 cleandir" first.

> Also look at some of the targets in the Makefile in src/etc.
>
> Once a full build has worked, and you have rebuilt the image (as abov=
e)

I think an important part of the excercise was to find the minimal set
of operations one would have to perform to populate and build the boot
medium.  Therefore, I counted "doing a full build" as right out.

BTW, Timo reported back, and it appears that the setup really wants to
have a "...nbmake-i386 includes" done before 3) can have a hope of
succeeding.

Regards,

- H=E5vard