Subject: Re: [ntp:hackers] ifconfig if down .. up -> ntpd loses
To: Frank Kardel <kardel@ntp.org>
From: Brad Knowles <brad@stop.mail-abuse.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/2005 23:01:14
At 10:48 PM +0200 2005-08-16, Frank Kardel wrote:

>  Am I the only one seeing this ? This does not seem right as the
>  previous address is gone it doesn't seem to make sense that udp
>  endpoints remain stuck on invalid addresses. Not even an error is
>  reported in ntpd. Applications seem to be kept in the dark about
>  being disconnected from the sane world.

	Known problem.  I can just about quote the bug from memory now --
I think it's #52.  The issue is that ntpd only scans the interfaces
to see which ones to bind to on startup, and doesn't re-scan the
interfaces later.

	If you search the archives of the questions@lists.ntp.isc.org
mailing list (or the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup), you should
see just about every third post coming up with this same issue.

	Anyway, it's a known bug, and will be fixed in the relatively
near future.  But maybe not until after 4.2.1 is released (hopefully
within a couple of weeks).

--
Brad Knowles, <brad@stop.mail-abuse.org>

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755